Friday, October 6, 2017

Baggy Pants and Animal Tales

 
Lovely, misty morning over the bay.  The ferry pulls out from the dock.  There's a long blast of foghorn as it disappears into the haze.  Here in the yard our resident mama deer is leading her little ones (who aren't so little anymore) along the hedge of Laurel.  The thick foliage serves multiple purposes - feeding deer, housing bunnies, keeping my little world private.

Today William and Abner curl by my side near the fire.   I'm drawn to the picture at the top of this page, me as a child in northern New Jersey.  I found it tucked in an old book.  I realize (happily) that I still often wear baggy pants, cardigan sweaters, and sensible shoes.  It warms my heart to hold on to pieces of that small child, to honor her, to love her unconditionally.  I remember that young girl having a big heart when it came to animals and this old girl does, too.  Seems every book I've written has a critter or two in the plot, even my exercise book Maximum Fitness.  And  my story (Eggnog with Pickles) published in Chicken Soup for the Soul was about a cat.  I've been edgy lately, unable to settle into a new project.  Perhaps a message here?  Well, since I'm already wearing my baggy pants, think I'll curl up and write poetry and stories about animals.  Welcome to MY CRITTERS.         


www.carolemarshallstudio.com

William and Abner

cmkstudio2@gmail.com

1 comment: